Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday Five: foods that are not invited into my house

It's Friday.

And I am BACK!

I will have a post chronicling what I've been up to, and why I haven't been here, later. But since it's the end of the week and my first post in over 2 months I thought I would keep it light.

I'm laying here on the couch (I'm sick and my hubby's back is out so, no, I'm not in the dog house-as if that were even possible--we just need rest), trying to fall asleep after thoughtlessly drinking a cup of coffee at 8:30 p.m., and I begin to think about my day and the grocery shopping excursion. Grocery shopping by myself is beneficial because I'm not distracted by a bouncy 2 year old. However, it's also potentially hazardous, because not being distracted, I tend to veer off my grocery list and actually peruse the store. That's when the cookies, chips, candy or other crap food gets picked. Tonight went fairly well. I bought a cookie mix because Liesl loves to cook. I plan on giving the cookies away, though. That food just can't be in the house. It's just too tempting.

So, here are my top 5 foods that never need to be in my house. Because if they are, it's likely they won't see many more days.

1. Ice Cream. Oh boy. It's so yummy and creamy and sweet. My family never practiced correct portioning so a "bowl" of ice cream is just that. A bowl completely filled with ice cream. You should be able to see the ice cream over the bowl's rim. That would be my family's portion. And sometimes seconds. Just ask my husband and former roommate :) I always make Michael buy a flavor ice cream that I don't like so I won't be as tempted.

2. Sour Cream. Kind of a weird one for most people but it's been one of my biggest downfalls. If it's in the house I base my meals around it. Sour cream just makes things taste better. Like ketchup. The main difference: sour cream is soooooooooo fattening, and the reduced fat stuff just isn't the same. I'd rather go without.

3. Chips. Especially Harvest Cheddar Sunchips. I've tried portioning the serving size into little baggies so that I don't mindlessly eat out of the big bag. Fail. It doesn't matter how they're portioned out, if they're in the house they are a goner.


4.Brownie batter/chocolate chip cookie batter. No, not the actual brownies/cookies. I can handle those (usually). It's the batter that calls out to me. Seems easy enough, right? Don't buy the stuff. Well, it's gotten to the point when I finally realized brownies weren't just from a pre-packaged box (so sad it's taken me 26 years to figure that one out) and I could make my OWN mix that I had to get rid of the cocoa powder in the house. I wasn't using it for anything else so it's not a big deal, but still. Drastic measures had to be taken.

5. Ranch. :sigh: I am a condiments girl. It probably has something to do with my father feeding me ketchup off of his fingers when I was a baby. (Parents of children: please don't feed your babies ketchup off of your fingers for your own amusement. It's cute when baby sucks on your finger like it's a bottle or boob, but not when it's sucking in ketchup.Think about it. Ketchup is, for the most part sugar and, WORSE than that, high fructose corn syrup. A pure, high fructose corn syrup-less baby should stay that way for as long as possible.) I am in no way saying all of my condiment habits are linked to my first ketchup encounter, but you never know... I do digress. Ranch is a staple in our house. It's the only way I can get my husband to eat raw, green veggies; and Liesl to eat more than 1 baby carrot stick. It's not as tempting as ice cream, though.

And, an unofficial, honorary edible substance (can't really be classified as "food" b/c it's just candy- a category unto itself): Peanut Butter M&M's. I think my life would be a lot easier if Mars would just discontinue them. And all chocolate/peanut butter combinations everywhere, for that matter. (I'm talking to you Reese's) Maybe I'll petition for it. Who's with me?

There you have it. My top 5 "trigger" foods. When consumed, they leave me wanting more of them, no matter how much I've already had. Therefore, they rarely cross the front door of my house...because I bring them in the back. Ha ha. Seriously, no.

I'll be back on Monday with a real update, and then I hope to resume as usual with 'Weigh-in Wednesdays.' It should be an interesting first week back.

(and thanks to all of you who've stuck around and asked where I was. I've contemplated "giving up" on this blogging, but I will try to stick it out. Even through the ugly...more on that Monday)

1 comment:

  1. The way you described ice cream is the way we've always eaten cereal. The bowls were never small... Good for you for recognizing and eliminating things!!! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in! I value your opinion so feel free to leave it.