Thursday, February 25, 2010

Last Chance Workout

On Monday, we went to the store and I picked up the new "Last Chance Workout" DVD from the Biggest Loser. I previewed it that night and was encouraged to not hear Jillian Michaels screaming at me the entire time. The moves looked hard, but doable. I was chatting online while watching so I may have missed some (most!) of it, but I wasn't worried...

Tuesday morning at 6 a.m. I did my first Last Chance Workout and let me tell you that the real reason they call it a "last chance" workout is because it's the last chance you'll have to workout...because it's going to kill you. It took me about 30 minutes to cool down to an acceptable functioning level. You know how the day following a workout is when the soreness kicks in? Yeah, not so much after this beat up. Around 1 p.m. my hamstrings, shoulders and glutes were on fire. I proudly took an ibuprofen that night.


Wednesday's workout was different because for the first 2 weeks you alternate days with the LCW and upper body/ lower body toning. I didn't preview the toning part so I was going in blind. Had I known what to expect, I might have skipped it. I was still soooooooooooooooo sore from the day before! My hamstrings haven't been that sore since I decided it was a good idea to do 2 consecutive hours of yoga in 1 day...after not exercising for weeks. BUT, I did the workout and I'm glad. I've heard it said before that you always regret NOT working out but never regret working out. So true.

I must tell you about this one exercise in particular. I cannot recall the name of it but it's basically a one-handed plank with a tricep kickback. Oh yeah, and 5 pounds in the hand doing the kickback. Do that exercise for 30 seconds, then switch sides. THEN, you do a one handed plank with a lateral raise (shoulder fly)..with the 5 pounds, of course. 30 seconds and switch sides.

um...ouch!!!



I continued with the LCW today. I'm going to pay for it tomorrow but I noticed a tremendous amount of increased energy today. Michael did also so that's saying something.

This is a 6 week program and I am going to truly try to stick with it! The week after Easter should be my last week. When I think about it in those terms, what's 6 weeks? It's almost here already.


Any encouragement will be greatly appreciated!!

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever try level 3 on the 30 day shred? that move you talk about sounds simmilar but not as intense and for not as long and there's a modifacation for it.
    Whatever you choose, do stick with it. I'm one who rarely finishes what I start and doing the 30 Day shred was soooo worth it. I"m glad I stuck with it. Now I'm on No more Trouble Zones, now this is where you reciporcate the encouragement. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know, I was at Level 2 when I got returned from vacation and got sick. I tried to start there again when resuming the Shred, but it was too much. My endurance had already decreased. I started over but after doing Level 1 for well over a month, I got bored fast. Maybe in a few months I'll try it again...or maybe next fall when the weather starts getting cold again.

    No More Trouble zones AND training for the 5k? You go!! I hope nice weather returns so you can get outside to run more. For me, being outside makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in! I value your opinion so feel free to leave it.